Thursday, December 07, 2006

Just another pain in my behind (nana, you want to skip this entry)

I've just received email that we're REQUIRED to decap rats now.
decap as in decapitate.
Skip the rest of this entry if you don't want to know details.
Before you get too horrified, it's part of the procedure for kind+thoughtful handling of lab animals. And unusually, I don't mean that sarcastically. Because decapitation is done on rats that are euthanised with anesthesia, to make sure that they are really dead before getting placed in a freezer prior to being disposed. you know, so that, just in case it didn't really expire from the anesthesia, it doesn't wake up in the middle of the night in a sub 0 degree freezer with a box full of dead companions in paper bags, and freeze to death while trying to call 911.
THE RULES require decap, but I've always avoided it by having my technician break the neck after it's supposedly gone to rat heaven via a huge dose of anesthesia, which is supposed to be as effective as decap. Now, however, some people were careless in obeying the rules, and THE COMMITTEE is insisting on STRICTLY obeying the rules.
I have a hard enough time when I'm forced to put them to sleep, or when i accidentally make them bleed, and now I'm required to cut off the head?
Could I plead cultural immunity, because asians traditionally respect and wouldn't dream of hurting dead bodies?
my mama, she-hero who captures, kills, de-feathers, cleans, and cooks running, free-ranged, live chickens with one hand tied at the back is probably wondering if babies when i was born.

No comments: