Wednesday, March 28, 2007

gut wrenching 2 weeks

Had just been through 2 weeks of emotional roller coaster. All because I had to choose between 2 jobs, and also some level of home sickness.
Job A I had already accepted, three months earlier, but is not the job that I trained for (ie engineering). Yet they have the greatest people and recruiting methods. And an atmosphere I felt truly comfortable with, plus a job function that is highly interesting. Oh, and it's in Chicago.
Job B I was offered unexpectedly. Is the perfect job description that matches my original intent of coming...let's see...20 gazillion miles across the pacific ocean to simultaneously suffer and semisemi-thrive in grad school. a highly interesting job function too, one not easily found. Culture and people, not so sure. But was very strict on the reply-by deadline (1 week from verbal offer, 4 days from actual offer).
So, being the knucklehead stubborn mule that I am...decided to let go of job A, and went the path of job B ie idealism bla bla bla- idealism with a pay cut, in a small small northern city. Was an extremely difficult situation for me personally, cos i do hate hate hate(to infinity) going back on my words. And also kinda fell a bit in love with Job A already.
All compounded by the fact that I hadn't been home in a year and almost 3 months. i've come to realise that if i do not go home at least one a year, my emotions tend to go cuckoo. Get sad and emotional for no reason.
It's strange how me and my friends had evolved since uni days. Leaving home for the 1st time to go to college? Easier than cooking maggi mee in a mug. Oh were we eager to see the world! be independent! meet new people! cure cancer! Solve the grand unified theorem! In fact, I was so NOT home sick during my first semester that during break after that semester, my dad had to bribe me with phone cards to make me call home once a week. I felt bad when my aunts told me that my mom cried after I left for college, and when I didn't call home.
Then the years go by (cue soft piano and violin), and our parents grow older, and I guess we grow wiser, or at least more appreciative of the extra blessings that we were given in the form of our loving parents and pesky sibling(s). And so we grow more attached. But we're all grown up now, and have to cari our own makan, dance our own dance, wiggle our own hiney, with some ending up far away from home. Denied of luxury items like 3 months of semester breaks each year, I look back at my callous teenage self, and have to say - bodohke engkau?
Where was I going with this?
Oh, yeah, wish me luck with my job. I will do my very very best and hope for the best. Alhamdulillah..
And I love my mom dad and pesky brother. And my wai por,wai gong and my aunts and uncles and cousins, and all my lovely crazy friends. muaks.

5 comments:

Minghan said...

Patrick Teoh (the famous malaysian DJ/MC) said, "Hapiness is when you have a choice". So Fishy, u should be happy.

Perhaps Job B is the right choice. Having worked 7 years (the most of the lot :P) I can say that you really got to love what you do, otherwise how to work till retirement???

High paying job may not be good in the sense that when you move to another job they can't pay you as much, so then you are trapped between high pay vs. uninteresting job....and better to take the interesting job now, rather than be conditioned by the high pay but uninteresting job and not being able to escape from it for the rest of your life

PT said...

All I can say is all the best, and never look back

kampung girl said...

Thanks, guys. Happiness can be a choice too. :)
Come visit, it's in Michigan! plenty of snow and cherries.

Anonymous said...

1. I still do not agree with your comment about 'pay cut'. But it does not matter anymore.
2. That's why you are nickname'd "Char Siew".
3. Jom - kite semua balik sama-sama tahun depan masa Tahun Baru Cina??!!
4. Oh - you should take this chance to learn about the different kind of apples and peaches available in MI! I am yet to bake apple pies with the all the different kinds...so far only make it to 3-4 kinds that are available in the store here.

Anonymous said...

Hate going back on your words you had said regarding Company A. My, my, here I must share with you my views.
In the labour/ employment market ,sentiments of morality do not come in. The market operates on the basis of a contract between the employer and the employee.The contract would say that the employer offers and the employee accepts the offer under terms and conditions stated.
The terms and conditions invariably would include a termination clause which empowers either party to terminate the service by giving notice of a period of time stated in the contract or pay cash in lieu of notice.
If the contract does not state the period necessary for a termination notice, a months notice would be usual but a days notice would not be wrong.
You had done your part by informing them about your decision of not joining them. SO rest assured , you had not committed a sin. So don't feel bad about the matter. you had honoured the contract by giving them the required notice.
(Am employer, being a capitalist, would have no qualm about terminating your service to save his own financial skin !)

Best of luck in Company B. What ever, your Home is always your fortress . Come home if things don't work out. Rest then start out again. Life is fun for the brave.

M. Man